TR3 Oil Cooler Bypass

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Oil Cooler Bypass
From: "Brewer, Bill" <bbrewer@LEHIGHCEMENT.COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 14:42:48 -0400
     I put a MOSS oil cooler on my TR3. I have been very pleased with
reduced operating temperature and increased oil pressure. However, in the
mornings when I start it, sometimes the oil pressure goes up to about 70 and
then fluctuates up and down, sometimes to zero. As you can imagine, this
instantly gets my attention. If I add another 1/2 quart of oil, the pressure
stays at about 70. If I drive on a level street, when the engine warms up
slightly the pressure goes to 70 like it should. BTW, oil just pours out the
rear seal on this engine, especially the last half quart top off or driving
uphill. I have to add about a quart every 100 miles.
     I am experimenting (flirting with disaster) today. The pressure
fluctuated this morning and then lined out at 70. When I start the car to go
home from work (daily driver), I'll see if it does it again and/or see if it
does it if a drive up or down a steep drive.
     Could this problem be that the oil is cold and there is enough back
pressure that it lifts the relief valve in the filter head? It may be a
combo problem of rear seal and oil cooler.
     Does the MOSS oil cooler setup have an internal temperature bypass? If
not, is there one I should/could buy?
     Did my oil pressure increase so much after installing the oil cooler
because of increase back pressure in the oil system? The car runs 70 at
freeway speed and about 40 at idle.
     I know that I should pull the engine and rebuild it, but it runs very
well and I can't bring myself to do it. Besides that, I know that
shipwright's disease will set in and the car will be off the road for a lot
longer than it should be.
     I know that some people disapprove of oil coolers, stating that a
proper running engine doesn't need one. But, an oil cooler for me has
allowed a few more years running an old engine.
     TIA,

     Bill Brewer
     Tehachapi, CA
     1960 & 1961 TR3A's