RE: TR3 Oil Cooler Bypass

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3 Oil Cooler Bypass
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 13:52:24 -0700
Bill :

IMO your problem is not the bypass valve, but instead you're low on oil !  I
have exactly the same thing happen on my daily driver, it always means I'm 2
qts low.

Basically, with cold, thick oil, the rocker cover fills enough with oil that
there is no longer oil in the sump covering the oil pump intake.  The pump
sucks air, causing the oil pressure to drop to 0.  Soon, enough oil runs
down that the pump sucks oil again and the cycle repeats.  With warmer,
thinner oil, the problem is much less severe (but I'll bet it still happens
on corners).

The increase in oil pressure from adding the cooler very likely was because
of the lowered temperature of the oil.  My objection to non-thermostatic
coolers (like the kit Moss sells) is that the oil may never reach the proper
operating temperature, which is required to boil off water and acids that
will otherwise accumulate.

IMO oil pressure is overrated.  I've run engines for a long time that showed
_no_ oil pressure at hot idle.  They all just kept running ...

Randall