RE: Need Help with Ignition Problems

To: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "\"\\"\\\"'\\\\"Bill Cutshall\\\\" <bill@steelstudios.com>'\\\" <\\\"Bill Cutshall\\\"\\"\"" <bill@steelstudios.com>
Subject: RE: Need Help with Ignition Problems
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 16:06:42 -0600
Bill

Your problem sounds like the points arent working properly for some reason.
You can check by manually opening the points and looking for spark.  Remove
the cap and rotate the engine until the points are definitely closed.
Remove the coil wire from the distributor and locate it about 1/4 inch from
a grounded surface.  Turn on the ignition, then manually open the points
with a screwdriver.  You should see a spark if everything is working ok
(then your problem could be the cap or rotor or wires).  If not, and voltage
is present on the primary side of the coil, look for the possibility that
the points are permanently grounded.  The coil side of the points should be
isolated from ground - there should be a plastic grommet right underneath
the wire lug where the wire attaches to the points.  If you have an ohmeter,
you can test the points operation by disconnecting the wire from the points
at the coil and attaching one side of the ohmeter to this wire and the other
side to ground.  As you open and close the points, you will see the ohmeter
go from zero resistance to infinity.

Hope this helps.

John Lumia - 76 TR6
Louisville, CO