How strong are Heli-coils?

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: How strong are Heli-coils?
From: Rob Christopher <robc@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 09:24:53 -0400
Hi all,

In reassembling my rear suspension yesterday during my frame-off resto,
I discovered that one of the holes that receives the rear shock bolts is
stripped.  I feel I have three options:
1) tap the hole and use the next bigger size 1/2" grade 8 bolt. This may
require making the hole in the shock bigger, though.
2) get a longer 7/16" bolt and put a nut on the back.  This would be a
bear to get at, though, once the body is on.
3) put a heli-coil insert in the hole

Are heli-coils strong enough for this application.  The bolt is supposed
to be torqued to 65 ft-lb put I feel it'll take a far worse beating from
the suspension working and I'm afraid the heli-coil won't hold.

Rob Christopher
74.5 TR6   CF28217UO  (two corners of suspension almost back on the
frame)
Ottawa,ON