TR4 overdrive switch (update)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, jerryvv@worldnet.att.net
Subject: TR4 overdrive switch (update)
From: "Michael Gajic" <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:53:54 +1000 FILETIME=[51F3EB10:01C140B6]
Listers,

Many thanks to all those who replied to my question. Apparently the TR4
switch was not used by other cars of the period.

I found a new one but could not find a second hand one. Some parts retailers
sell only LHD reproduction versions of the switch. Some claim that the LHD
version is the only one available. Others have RHD repro switches as well.
AFAIK the difference is the direction the stalk is bent...

I was lucky enough to find a original switch from 1963. The build date
stamped on it is November 1963 (11-63) and it came in the original 38 year
old box. The part number on the box is simply 34490 (no suffix).

AFAIK, the correct Lucas parts number for a TR4 (RHD) switch is 34490B
(although 34490E(RHD)/34489E(LHD) may also be correct for a TR4). AFAIK the
factory part number for a RHD switch is 147280 and 147281 for a LHD switch.

The switch currently for sale on EBay would most likely be a TR5/250 switch
based on its build date and part number, but I do not know if there are any
real differences between the switches. Some say that the TR4A/5/250 switches
have longer stalks than the TR4 switch, I cannot confirm or deny this or any
other differences.

I hope that this info will help someone in the future....

Thanks again,
Michael (who now knows more about TR4 o/d switches then he ever wanted to
know)
63' TR4
Sydney, Australia