Stromberg By-Pass Value??

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Stromberg By-Pass Value??
From: Harrymague@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 15:30:07 EDT
Can anybody tell me the correct gasket to use on my carbs by-pass valve.
Rebuild kits come with two gaskets, both fit.  One has a cut out between the
two holes in the gasket and one doesn't.  The Haynes carb manual shows one
with out the cut out between the holes.  These carbs from my 74 TR6 are
orginal carbs to the car.  I rebuilt them many years ago.  During my
restoration, I had them rebuilt by a company.  I am having a great deal of
troble getting my car to run well.  All the signs point to the bypass valve
and that's when I notice two different gaskets from rebuilds kit I had.

The problem that I have with the car running revolves around engine braking.
When I come off the throttle, the car will almost stalls.  To compensate, the
idle has to be kept at about 1100.  Even then, the car will not give a steady
idle.  I just had the intake manifold mating surfaces machined and new
gaskets fitted just in case I had an air leak.

All my test equipment tell me that the ingnition system is fine.  Anybodys
thoughts will be a great help.  Also, those of you who help with my
suspension problem, I did resverse the upper wishbone arms in the front
suspension.  That's why I had the bad caster numbers.  Thanks again for the
tips.

Harry Mague
74 TR6
Bevercreek, OH