Re: power loss

Subject: Re: power loss
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 10:01:42 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Al :

That certainly sounds like a fuel delivery problem.  The most obvious
suspect is the fuel filter, so replace it.  Another test worth trying is
to leave the gas cap open, see if that has any effect on the problem.
Inspect the lines to the fuel tank, to be sure they aren't crushed or
kinked, and the rubber lines in the rear to be sure they aren't soft or
deteriorated.  I'd probably replace the rear soft lines "just because".

If none of that produces a solution, IMO it's time to get out the fuel
pressure test gauge.  (Most vacuum test gauges will also do fuel
pressure)  'Tee' the gauge into the fuel line at the front carb, then
run the line out through the rear of the hood, and put the gauge under a
windshield wiper, where you can see it while you drive.  If the pressure
drops below about 1 psi, you definitely have a fuel delivery problem.
Repeat the test with the gauge connected on the inlet side of the fuel
pump.  (Here of course, you're just looking to see if there is a vacuum
being drawn.  The pressure is supposed to stay at 0 psi, if it goes
negative at all there is a restriction somewhere between where the gauge
is connected, and the tank.)  Repeat until you've isolated the problem.

Randall