Re: TR Finned aluminum brake drums

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR Finned aluminum brake drums
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:06:51 -0700
Peter :

I haven't tried the Autospecialty drums, but I do know that TR6 drums
will not fit a TR3A, even one with 9" brakes.  Both the center hole and
the stud holes are smaller in a TR6 drum than in a 9" TR3A drum, leading
me to believe that any attempt to make a single drum fit both cars will
lead to exactly the  sort of problem you describe.  I believe the lip of
the backing plate is also different, but I'm not certain on this point.

Don't know if the change point was the introduction of IRS or not.

I believe the new (stock) 240Z drums I purchased can be successfully
modified to fit the TR3A brakes.  The center and stud holes are too
small and must be enlarged (which I've done), and some of the aluminum
must be machined away around the rim to clear the backing plate (which I
haven't finished yet).  I've also added holes for the drum locating
screws, but that's probably not essential.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver