Re: TR Finned aluminum brake drums

To: "Arakelian, Peter" <arakelianp@mossmotors.com>
Subject: Re: TR Finned aluminum brake drums
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 21:00:12 +0000
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
"Arakelian, Peter" wrote:

> I know that some of you have gotten Datsun 240Z drums and others have gotten
> drums from Autospecialty.  But in our research neither of these correctly
> fit TR2-6!  We have found sizing problems in the center holes - too small to
> correctly fit IRS.  Sizing problems for hole for wheel studs - too large for
> IRS, may allow drum to rotate slightly when brakes are applied.  A ridge in
> the bottom  of the area between the cast iron brake surface and the aluminum
> finned area that rubs against the back plate.
> Could those of you that are using these let me know what problems, if any,
> you have had or not had.  Please be as specific as you can and let me know
> which drums you are running.
> We are trying to get this right and are being told they will work, but they
> don't seem to be correct.
> THANK YOU
> Peter Arakelian - 71 TR6 Daily Driver
> Domestic Buyer
> Moss Motors, Ltd.
> (805) 681-3400 x3214
> (805) 692-2510 - Fax

Everything you say is true. Those are the interference points not only on the
TR6
but also the rest of the TR series. I just take the drums to a machine shop and
have the center hole re-machined, and the groove near the periphery deepened and
widened so the backing plate lip does not interfere. These are pretty
inexpensive
machining operations.

Some folks are initially concerned that the Datsun drums do not have the little
countersunk hole for the little screw that doesn't do anything anyway but cause
grief when the slot gets buggered up. These screws are not necessary.

I have run a set of these drums on my vintage racer for five years and have seen
no ill effect from the stud holes being slightly too large. I know of at least
ten other vintage racers who do the same. I torque my wheels to 60 lb ft,
certainly not unreasonable.

--

uncle jack - red, white, and New Blue