TRF Woes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TRF Woes
From: "George T. Pasek Jr." <pasek001@tc.umn.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 07:09:54 -0500
This may be old news to some, but for those that are starting out as I
am I thought I'd pass along what I found.

A few weeks ago I ordered a front brake pad replacement kit for my TR6
from TRF.  The kit was to include the pads, anti-squeal shims, and brake
grease.  When I recieved the kit, it was missing the grease.  I called
TRF customer service and told them about the missing grease, and after
being put on hold she came back and said that she would get some sent
right out... sounds great.  About 10 minutes later I got a call from
Dave at TRF who said that the kit discription is outdated and the kit no
longer includes the grease.  OK, fair enough, next time I order a kit,
how do I know that I'll get what I think I'm ordering?  Dave said to
have the sales person inventory the kit or ask for him and he would be
happy to do so.  Ok, will do.

Last week I tore apart my transmission for a rebuild.  Not wanting to
have parts on back order, I ordered the GRK2 Overhaul Kit from TRF.
This time I was smart, I had the sales person verify that the parts were
the same as the catalog showed.  Two days later my kit shows up, a
baggie with 8 parts, not the 23 that there should be.  Call back to CS
and they said that rather than sending me out the missing parts to send
back the kit and they would grab a new one and send it out... fair
enough.  Two days later I get the replacement kit, only this time it's
missing the rear seal, and the circlips are now on backorder.  Called
back to CS and asked to send out the missing seal, and also how could
parts be on backorder from a "Kit".  They said that the kits are not pre
packaged, they are made up when ordered and there can be times when
parts are out of stock.

So the point of this long dissertation is if you are going to order kits
from TRF (and maybe the same applies to the other suppliers) first
verify just what is included in the kit and second that all the included
parts are in stock.  It might save you unwanted down time.

George
73 TR6