Re: Battery cell shorting: Why?

To: sdtilton@yahoo.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Battery cell shorting: Why?
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 08:26:43 EDT
In a message dated 01-09-26 21:53:46 EDT, sdtilton@yahoo.com writes:

<< What causes a car battery to short out one cell?

 Is it a manufacturing issue or is it dependent on how it is used? >>

Scott,

Interesting question....hopefully someone on the list is well versed in
battery technology/design and can answer.  I know from experience that up
until last month, every battery I've replaced has been over 5 years old and,
with the exception of one or two batteries which I've replaced "because they
were old", most of them were aging and not providing a fast enough crank in
cold weather.

Getting back to your question......with the exception of last month, my
battery replacements seem to be old-age related not shorted cell related.
Last month; however, my 3 year old Die Hard "died hard".....in the middle of
a perfectly normal cranking sequence (thankfully in my garage).  A quick
voltage check at the battery found the voltage wavering between 5 and 8 volts
with the door open and the inside courtesy light on.

Sears checked it on their battery analyzer and confirmed an internal short of
some kind.....I guess the short wasn't severe enough to kill the battery
completely but essentially it was useless.....the story has a happy ending -
I got 3 years of credit (half of my original cost) towards a new battery
which cost $10.00 less than the old one and carries a 100 month warranty.

chip

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (complete rolling chassis finished - busy assembling the
engine and getting the body ready for paint - check out my progress by
visiting http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1270980)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (enjoying the beautiful fall days)