Re: Unfortunate news

To: bschwart@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: Unfortunate news
From: "john matthews" <john__matthews@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:08:14 -0700 FILETIME=[9D01F390:01C1476E]
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>snip< If the pistons/rings were bad, would I be able to see it on the
>cylinder walls as scoring, or am I going to have to completely tear the
>engine apart?

Hi Barry,

In my experience you should be able to tell cylinder condition by just
removing the head. When rings go they tend to take litte pieces of piston
with them and leave lots of evidence in the cylinders. I've know racers who
removed one piston/conrod (from a Datsun Z motor) and completed the weekend
on 5 cylinders. Now I've also had the experience of removing the head for a
blown gasket and everything looked fine but one of the pistons didn't move
when we turned the crank....

Good Luck!!!!

John Matthews
'61 Herald