Re: A question...

To: <sylvain.rozon@eshade.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A question...
From: "Martin Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:38:12 -0400
I guess the answer to this depends on what's important to you.  If you found
a TR6 to be too expensive to maintain, I presume that was because:

1)  You had a bad car.
2)  You don't do any or most of your maintenance.
3)  You had a bad (or inexperienced) mechanic.
4)  All of the above.

A well sorted out TR6, or even one that's mostly right, is not an expensive
car to maintain.  On the other hand, a 25 year-old Triumph, regardless of
model, that's only been cared for to the extent that it is still driveable,
is going to be a serial garage patient.  Because fixing symptoms, and not
systems, makes mechanical problems snowball out of control.

What is your present state of mechanical expertise?  If you can do some of
your own work, then a Spitfire may be the best Triumph for you because of
the ease of access to the engine bay.   The most powerful Triumph with ease
of engine access?  GT6.  But the most reliable Triumph?  That would be the
one made in Japan.  (wink)

===
Martin Secrest
73 GT6 (driver)
72 TR6 (weekender)
Arlington, VA

"She's got a carburetor tied to the moon."