Gt6+ over heating

To: <lstein@ehc.org>
Subject: Gt6+ over heating
From: "ssh" <khuff@skyenet.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 17:22:44 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Larry;

    Maybe I'm running on luck but here is my story on over heating. I run a 70
GT and when I start up it takes quite awhile to get it to come off high idle.
If I try to go before it's down I need to keep choke out and revs up to keep
going. I do this for two or three blocks then everything kicks in smoothly
push in choke and great driving for about five minutes. Then the old Temp
gauge starts crawling to the red. It stays there (every time) until I feel
that maybe it won't come back down and then boom it goes to about the 3/4 mark
and floats up to maybe 7/8 to red then back and forth......but still off red.
I drive all over Northern Indiana and have never over heated and haven't had
to add coolant all summer. I assume it's a quirk.

    I bought a radiator cowl several years ago and thought it would help
direct air through. Instead it worsened the problem UNTIL I found out that you
have to watch  when you close your bonnet to not crush the cowling closed!
This is the only time I thought I may have boo booed since I drove a little
longer on hot thinking it would come back down. A little more work at getting
it a bit stiffer  and this hasn't happened since. But, I still check every
time I close the bonnet.

   Hope this helps and happy motoring.

    Kevin Huff
     70 GT6+