Re: Fire extinguishers for LBC

Subject: Re: Fire extinguishers for LBC
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 11:41:49 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jerry :

Check with any racer's supply house (Summit, Jeg's, Pegasus, etc.) for a
handheld Halon fire extinguisher.  They are not cheap (last year's
Pegasus catalog has a 2.5 pound unit for $125) but Halon is AFAIK by far
the best in terms of fire fighting ability with little or no damage.
Also more effective per pound than CO2.

CO2 extinguishers are also not good at putting out Class A fires, like
upholstery and wooden dashes.  The CO2 disperses almost immediately, so
any smoulder will blaze back up, and possibly reignite a fuel spill.

I learned the hard way of an important shortcoming of the chemical
types.  They have to be upright to work, any attempt to use the unit
while horizontal will instantly ruin it.  The only car fire I've ever
had, I wound up putting out with a garden hose.

Randall