Re: First question of many, I'm sure-conclusion

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: First question of many, I'm sure-conclusion
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 18:15:13 -0700
Thank you everyone for your responses.  The concensus was the license plate
light does tend to overlap the spare tire compartment cover.  I did put it
on this way, keeping it as high as those oversize holes would permit and
pushing the extension in the gasket through its hole so it extended into the
lamp - still no way the cover was going to go on.

My solution was a bit unconventional, but it works for me and maybe someone
else will come across the same problem, so I will relate it and risk the
consequences.  First, using my handy dandy Dremel with a cut off wheel, i
cut the studs off the lamp flush with the base.  I then drilled a hole large
enough for a small bolt as close to directly opposite the large hole that
had the gasket extrusion going through it.  Actuall, by using the extrusion
to center one side of the lamp, I maarket the location by tracing the hole
on the opposite side through the inside of the trunk.  I then removed that
extrusion on the gasket.  Now comes the clever part.  I cut a 1 inch piece
of that hollow threaded rod that is used to put table lamps together, the
piece that the bulb holder screws into and often extends through the entire
lamp?  I just hope my wife doesn't try to use that lamp.  This fit nicely in
that hole that the gasket extrusion was in and the correspinding hole in
back of the car. Acouple of nuts, 1 in the lamp, 1 in the trunk keeps the
lamp mounted and the hole in the threaded rod provides access for the wire.
I used some heat shrink to protect the wire from the edges of the rod. A
bolt with washers and a nut on the other side and I'm in business.   This
excersize raised the lamp so that the bottom is now just above the gasket
for the spare tire cover.

Thanks again,
Bob