Re: the never-ending clutch problem saga AND survey/checklist

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: the never-ending clutch problem saga AND survey/checklist
From: jay_welch@juno.com
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 07:29:10 -0400
Cc: sharris@smhelectronics.com, ktnkt@cape.com, rgreene@whoi.edu
Hello All,

Just my 2 cents on a possible resolution to the dreaded 6 cylinder
Triumph clutch problems.  I put together a checklist to reference when
into a clutch replacement.  I think it could be useful to individuals
that are new to the world of clutch systems and to us as a whole to get a
grip on this troublesome clutch system.  Most people just want to get in
and get out when doing a clutch and who can blame them.  We want to drive
these things.  Me, I like to do things once "correctly" and move on to
the next project.  My thoughts are that if people approach a clutch with
the intention of gathering information along the way, it might help them
as well as all of the other Triumph 6 cylinder owners with future clutch
problems.  I think a lot of people are happy with their "Magic" type
clutch right now but may not be after a few thousand miles on the clock.
I will be installing a LuK clutch this winter and will be using the
checklist to document everything I take out and install.  I presently
have a Borg & Beck plate and disk (not sure which one), Toyota release
bearing and .70" M/C.  Everything else appears to be stockTR6 parts.  We
all trust that the parts we are getting are "correct" for our cars but it
appears that the recipe has been tainted along the way.

We will be posting this checklist and a shop reference document on our
club website soon.  The reference doc is just a compilation of
information, much of it opinion, that I have retrieved from emails, web
sites and the archives.  If you want one or both now just send me an
email and I will forward to you as an attachment.

Good luck,
Jay Welch, Abington MA
1971 TR6 project
1973 TR6 driver - wanting to "Drive it Hard"
Member "Cape Cod British Car Club" @
http://clubs.hemmings.com/capecodbritish/
First annual Columbus Day Weekend Event Saturday 10/6 thru Monday 10/8.
See website for details.