Re: electric fans

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: electric fans
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@theriver.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 18:57:46 -0700
Ron E Marx wrote:

> I have a 58 TR3A with the original positive ground electrical system. I
> am installing a new Hayden electric fan in the pusher position...

Ron, they suggest you reverse the fan blade because (I think you'll find) the
fan's blades are slightly curved (like an airfoil) and for optimal flow you want
them facing a particular way.

If unsure of the wiring you can just ground one wire and touch the other to +
and
see which way the wind blows.

I also use + ground.  To simplify the wiring on mine I connected it the + side
a hot source and ran the ground wire to an underdash toggle switch that has it's
other pole grounded.  That way I just have to run one wire the length of the
engine compartment and thru the firewall.

I cheated a bit here and used the horn circuit as the power source.  I'm no EE
but since the horn is used only momentarily I don't think this is a problem.
Anyway, I have confirmed that I can honk the horns when the fan is running
without blowing the fuse.

Good luck.

Geo Hahn
589 TR3A