"phut" noise in a TR4

To: "Triumph (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[F99ADCC0:01C14CD7]
Subject: "phut" noise in a TR4
From: "Freeman, Noah" <nfreeman@baincapital.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 09:25:02 -0400 lc>
Hello all-

Having resolved the pints/quarts question (my oil pressure is as good,
if not better, with the proper amount of oil...the oil pressure
difference between 20W50 and 10w30 is HUGE), im on to my next challenge
(tonight)...

Car runs and idles great under 3.5K rpm.  At 3.5K rpm, (when revving in
the garage) i begin to hear occasional "phut" noises in teh exhaust
note...as I increase RPM to 4.5Krpm, the exhuast can be characterized as
"mostly 'phuts'"...(a phut is a little noise sort of like a really light
cough)...the engine doesnt hesitate after each phut (its not in danger
of stalling or anything) but I have a suspicion that its loosing
power...(its not like these phuts are very loud...just loud enough to
hear over/in teh exhaust)

My intuition says "time to do a tuneup!" (but I have never done one
before (1st year of LBC ownership, first car mechanical experience)...I
have the SU tool kit, so I figured it would a) be good and b) be fun to
tune the carbs (its running black at the exhaust anyway, so I need to
lean it out anyway)

I have a pertronix in, so the problem is not points related...

What is the phutting noise?

What should I do to fix it?

Adjust the timing?(how?)

Change/regap the spark plugs?

Thanks in advance (and sorry for the beginner questions)

Noah

Noah Freeman
Brookside Capital/Bain Capital
111 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA, 02199
v 617.516.2922   f 617.516.2910
nfreeman@baincap.com

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a
name of winmail.dat]