pinking or pinging in TR6?

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: pinking or pinging in TR6?
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@mail.presby.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 12:16:28 -0400
I wrote in last week asking about engine vibration in my TR6.  It
happens at higher RPMs, whether moving or sitting still, whether
the clutch is in or out.  Several folks made some good suggestions
about possible causes, and I hope to finish checking them out this
weekend, but I am wondering if it could simply be this "pinking"
phenomenon I've heard about.  This past spring I had great
difficulty getting rid of a misfire.  I adjusted carbs and timing
and then realized that the distributor rotor was loose.  When I
replaced it, everything smoothed out, but it wasn't long afterward
that I started noticing this buzzing feeling in the pedals and
steering wheel.  Could it be that I have advanced the timing a
little too far and am getting pinking?  I don't really know
exactly what it sounds or feels like I guess.  I think I do
understand what causes it, but I don't know how to diagnose it.
Can anyone give me some pointers?

Thanks,   Tim
--
Tim Gaines