Re: pinking or pinging in TR6?

Subject: Re: pinking or pinging in TR6?
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 09:44:27 -0700
Tim wrote:

>I wrote in last week asking about engine vibration in my TR6.  It
>happens at higher RPMs, whether moving or sitting still, whether
>the clutch is in or out.  Several folks made some good suggestions
>about possible causes, and I hope to finish checking them out this
>weekend, but I am wondering if it could simply be this "pinking"
>phenomenon I've heard about.  This past spring I had great
>difficulty getting rid of a misfire.  I adjusted carbs and timing
>and then realized that the distributor rotor was loose.  When I
>replaced it, everything smoothed out, but it wasn't long afterward
>that I started noticing this buzzing feeling in the pedals and
>steering wheel.  Could it be that I have advanced the timing a
>little too far and am getting pinking?  I don't really know
>exactly what it sounds or feels like I guess.  I think I do
>understand what causes it, but I don't know how to diagnose it.
>Can anyone give me some pointers?

'Pinking' or 'pinging' sounds just like the word sounds.  It doesn't
sound like this is your problem, as pinging nearly always occurs only
at lower rpms and with a high engine load, such as when climbing a
steep hill.  If the engine is still pinging into the mid-range rpms
it takes on more of a rattling sound.  Pinging sounds like there's
someone inside the cylinder rapping on it with a ball-peen hammer.

I don't know what the other suggestions were as to your vibration,
but inspecting motor mounts may have been one of them and is
certainly a good place to start.  Unless you're running a very
high-compression cylinder head and/or pistons, I doubt seriously that
you would have a serious pre-detonation problem. The symptoms you
describe do not sound like pinging.

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6