Re: Re. While motor's out, what else would u do? edu>

To: LaJoMor@aol.com
Subject: Re: Re. While motor's out, what else would u do? edu>
From: "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 15:33:52 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Larry,
The guys in the shop I'm working with couldn't believe how heavy the TR4A
flywheel is, it has got to be over 30 lbs. Based on what the list has
recommended,  I asked them to try to take ten lbs. off the side facing the
engine, and they came pretty close.  This shop does quite a bit of
work on vintage and SCCA race cars, the place is usually full of Alpha's
and Ferrari's. I actually have an alloy flywheel that weighs less than 10
lbs, but they convinced me not to use it unless all I was doing was
highway driving.  Apparently too light is not good for your low rev
acceleration, which is important for street and autocrossing applications ...
I wouldn't trust the lightening of your flywheel to just any machine shop.
Try to find one that specializes in performance, preferably vintage work.
If its not balanced and machined properly, it could be dangerous if it is
weakened and comes apart at high revs... I also decided on using the
performance street grind camshaft from British Parts NW based on good
things I've read here.
 -Kevin