Re: Gasoline Overflow

Subject: Re: Gasoline Overflow
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 12:44:33 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sumner :

To the best of my knowledge, yes, all TR3s and even early TR4s had the
tank vent line.  However, I'm by no means an expert on 3B variations, so
it's possible there were some cars without it.

Note that gasoline does expand with temperature, faster than the steel
of the gas tank does.  If you fill the tank with cold gas (from being
stored in an underground tank), it can expand enough to overflow a
little.  One solution is to always leave some "head room" in the tank.
Newer cars actually have baffles in the tank to make it impossible to
fill the tank completely, for just this reason.

Randall