RE: Re. While motor's out, what else would u do?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Re. While motor's out, what else would u do?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 19:34:32 -0700 u mbia.edu>
(Sent this from home but it doesn't seem to've made it.  My apologies if
this is a duplicate.)

> You may have to have
> your machine shop manufacture a puller from 1x1/2 inch steel bar about 9
> inches long, to remove the end bearings.

If you can handle drilling holes, you can do this yourself.

>       There are some things that the do-it-yourself type will likely not
> be able to accomplish at home. These include accurate measurement of the
> cylinder bores to determine if they are out of round or worn.  I tried to
> do this with calipers but could not achieve the accuracy required of
> thousandths of inches. This is a job to hand over to a machine shop or
> mechanic with a bore gauge (I priced a bore gauge with that accuracy and
> it was around three to five hundred dollars).

Rather than the dial bore gage Kevin looked at, you can make this
measurement accurately with a 3"-4" micrometer ($35 from Enco) and a
telescoping gage (set of 5/16"-6" is $13 from Enco).  As with the dial gage,
accuracy will depend on your care and skill in making the measurement
exactly perpendicular to the bore (hint : use an old piston as a reference)
and on-center.  But it should be easy to achieve .0005", more than the
necessary accuracy for just a wear indication.

Or, use the micrometer to measure an old piston, then a feeler gage to
compare the bore diameter to the piston diameter.

Randall