TR4 project has finally started!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 project has finally started!
From: PeterSchop@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 02:40:16 EDT
After six months of prep, I finally started my TR4 project today. I took both
front fenders off. I started with the side that caught on fire. After sitting
for five years with the paint burned off I had a terrible time removing the
fasteners. I had to fight with everyone but they all came off. That is until
I got to the baffle plate. There are five bolts holding it on. I ended up
snapping the heads off every one. I tried removing the studs with a screw
extractor. I quit after two bolts. I will do the rest later when I want to
punish myself. Who ever named that an easy-out must not have used it much.
Everything was covered with surface rust. The baffle was rotted away and
where it attached to the tub didn't look too good either. It took about two
hours. I then did the other side. Oh what a difference. Everything came right
off without any problem. Took about 20 minutes. The fender looked like new
along with the inner fender and baffle. It had the original drain tube
leading into the cavity between the fender and the tub. I just wish that I
had the car five years ago before the bare metal had time to rust.

Peter Schoppelry
'63 TR4