TR6 Front Hub Spindles teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f992uuK14436

Subject: TR6 Front Hub Spindles teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f992uuK14436
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 19:56:50 -0700
Folks

As I was disassembling my front suspension I noticed that my spindles
appear to be worn, possibly to the point of needing replacement.

My basic question is, at what point does it become necessary to
replace the spindles?

Currently, if you look at the base of the spindle on each side of the
car where the inner wheel bearing rides, you notice a difference in
appearance compared to the rest of the spindle.  Most of the spindle
is a shiny, machined surface
 however the area at the base of the
spindle is duller, a kind of grayish color.  The worst part is that
there is a very small 'step' worn into the base of the spindle.  This
occurs just inboard of where the taper flattens out toward the base
of the spindle, right where the bearing race had been.  I can just
feel the step with the fingertip
 I haven't tried to actually measure
the step yet. My first thought was that these spindles are trash now.
But, I thought I'd ask the experts before I jump to any conclusions.

The other question is this:  Considering that there are only about
40000 miles on the wheel bearings that I just removed, what
explanation might there be for this damage or wear?

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6