"Rich" TR-6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: "Rich" TR-6
From: "dennis shea" <djshea11@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 05:45:52 +0800
I have recently completed restoration of a 74 TR-6 and it seems to run very
rich. The carbs were rebuilt and adjusted per the shop manual and the tech tips
from the Vintage Triumph Reg.(the tips are very good BTW)The new engine now has
about a thousand miles and has all the symptons of being to rich, light smoke
at idle,easy start without choke, and black powder coated spark plugs in a few
miles. With cleaning of the plugs the car runs very well. Various adjustments
have improved the milage. The engine is stock (.030 over)and the only
modification is the elemination of the spart retard tubing and related water
temp. sensor. Timing is set at about 12 BTDC. The lift the carb piston test for
setting the needle/jets seems ok. The engine speeds up and then falls back. I
have heard comments that TR-6's always run rich and are "thirsty" could this be
true? I would not worry about the situation if it were not for the plugs
getting dirty in short order.
Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Dennis