Re: TR3 Fuel Pump

To: geohahn@theriver.com
Subject: Re: TR3 Fuel Pump
From: "Mike Kitchener" <mikek@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 13:47:02 +0200
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Geo Hahn wrote :
> I bought a "rebuilt" fuel pump off eBay awhile back.
>  I opened it
> up and found that several parts had been omitted during the "rebuild"...
> specifically the Diaphram Spring, Oil Seal and Oil Seal Retainer.
>  The seal seems to be there to keep the lube from migrating
> around in the lower half.  Is the seal necessary?  Looks like something
> one might fashion out of a bit of rubber & a cup washer.
> Also, is a suitable spring anything I'm likely to find locally or is the
> replacement so specific to this application that the exact part should be
> obtained?
Geo ,
I saved this from TeriAnn Wakeman :
"It is my understanding that the rubber oil seal between the pump
and
engine has been NLA for a long time.

However the Land Rover uses the same pump with a different
mounting
flange. I have a Land Rover friend who discovered the same
problem  while
off roading about 9 years ago. He made a field repair by using a
rubber
part from his brake cylinder rebuild kit.  I think it was the piston seal
but I'm not sure.  His field repair is still working."

The fuel delivery pressure depends on the spring so be careful if
you fit a different one .

Hope this helps

Mike Kitchener
60 TR3A TS 75178