Re: TR3 Fuel Pump

To: " Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 Fuel Pump
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 01 07:16:43 -0700
>I saved this from TeriAnn Wakeman :
>"It is my understanding that the rubber oil seal between the pump
>and
>engine has been NLA for a long time.
>
>However the Land Rover uses the same pump with a different
>mounting
>flange. I have a Land Rover friend who discovered the same
>problem  while
>off roading about 9 years ago. He made a field repair by using a
>rubber
>part from his brake cylinder rebuild kit.  I think it was the piston seal
>but I'm not sure.  His field repair is still working."

I talked to Ben after writing that reply.  He used the wheel cylinder
dust cover for a seal and he has made at least a dozen trips across the
US from coast to coast and that impromptu seal is still there & working.

Which spring are you missing? I have an extra spring that fits to the
diaphragm.

I was cleaning out my storage shed the other day and came across a Land
Rover pump someone gave me once in case I wanted to rebuild one as a
spare.

The Series Land Rover used the same AC fuel pump except mounting holes
are side by side and not at an angle to the pump.

It is missing the oil seal as well and one of the pins that hold the pump
handle in place.  The remaining handle lock pin wasn't in tight.  The
handle & spring flew out when I pulled it out of the package.  I never
did find the handle spring.  Looks like whomever "rebuilt" it stripped
pump before learning that the kit doesn't include an oil seal.  The pump
was the newer AC replacement type that requires the valves to be pinned
into place.  He didn't do it right and one of the valves was laying loose
inside.

Since it has a missing pump handle spring, oil seal, handle retaining pin
and I no longer use that model pump on my Land Rover, I'm planing on
removing the new genuine AC pump diaphragm & valves and store them for a
future rebuild in the TR3.

SO if you want the diaphragm spring let me know.

TeriAnn Wakeman               If you send me direct mail, please
Santa Cruz, California        start the subject line with TW -
twakeman@cruzers.com           I will be sure to read the message

http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

"How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
Amelia Earhart 1898-1937