Leaking Stromberg, what to do ?

To: "TRlist" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Leaking Stromberg, what to do ?
From: "Pat Leask" <pleask@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 21:00:51 -0700
Hi All !

Here's the story.... a buddy of mine "rebuilt" my Stromberg carbs that fit the
TR6 motor for my TVR. Sorry, I know it's not a TR (But I do have a TR3 being
painted now at long last). When I say rebuilt he did not put in a kit he just
took them apart and cleaned them up as they were "Gummy" in side. He said they
were still in fairly good shape and will last a couple of years. He is a very
good English car mechanic but even the best make boo boo's.

The problem is when the motor is cranking over (rebuilt and not yet running)
the carb is spewing out big time gas form a hole in the face of the carb (that
mates with the back of the air filter).

Is this a needle and seat problem ?

He is on holidays for a week and I'm anxious to see if I can get this sucker
running and don't really want to wait till he is back. Can you suggest what I
can do to fix it ? Please note, that I have never taken a carb apart before to
any great extent.....

THANKS !
Pat