intake manifold coolant channel

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: intake manifold coolant channel
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 08:11:51 -0700 (PDT)
Intake manifold on an early TR-6.

It has a passage on the underside of it that coolant passes through.

I assumed this coolant was there to help cool the manifold.
Or at least to make it an even temperture and avoid hot spots.

When looking at another car with weber downdrafts, I saw that the owner had
disconnected this hose and routed it to the equivalent fittings on the weber /
pierce manifold.

Actually I saw two cars like this. I asked about it and one of the owners said
that he thought the engine coolant was there to help the manifold heat up more
quickly on cold days.

He figured the stock manifold was right above the exhaust, and would heat up
pretty quick, but the extra adapter manifold was hanging way out there away
from the engine and would need the engine "coolant" for pre-heating.

Hmmmm . . . .

Anyone have any input on this?

Scott Tilton
In Leesburg, VA

Getting ready to spend his lunch break investigating an electric fuel pump that
started clicking like crazy when he pulled in to work this morning.
http://personals.yahoo.com