generator out of align

To: michaelgajic@hotmail.com, triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: generator out of align
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 14:31:20 EDT
Michael
I've seen photos in workshop manual, owners manual, etc that indicate
generator, water pump and crank pulleys were never 'right on' in alignment.
Mine also is slightly askew (belt line).
This restoration I am going to try and resolve it (will try adding small
washers to waterpump shaft before sliding on its pulley to bring water pump
pulley forward in better alignment with crankshaft pulley and generator
pulley).
I test the tension by trying to turn the generator pulley by hand - if I can
make it turn (slip) I extend and tighten the generator slide bracket. This
usually results in about 3/4 inch slack on longest length of belt (pushing
with finger) as specified in workshop manual.
You don't want the belt too taught as you'll ruin the belt prematurely and
possibly the bearings as well.

Carl Sereda
'63 TR4 since '74 - CT22326L

>>Listers,

My generator seems to be sitting slightly too far forward so that the
generator pulley seems to be slightly in front of the water pump pulley. The
generator seems to be installed properly; all nuts, bolts and washers seem
correct and tight. The flanges on the generator sit behind the brackets as
is correct.

If this positioning of the generator correct for a TR4? I seriously doubt it
and I suspect that it will cause problems. What do you think could be the
cause of this incorrect positioning?

Many thanks in advance,
Michael
63' TR4 CT23641 O<<