Re: Generator out of align

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Generator out of align
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 10:07:22 +0100
I had this exact same problem on both PI and Fergie. The PI water pump
was shot anyway and as I fortunately came across a NOS unit, I took
the opportunity to make measurement comparisons. Quickly transpired
the pump I removed (spurious make unidentified) was clearly neither
the
original part or a Stanpart replacement as it had a longer shaft.
On the Fergie, it turned out to be the same problem and I satisfied
myself the dynamo and pulley were correctly fitted. Removing the pump
showed it had a Quinton Hazell part no cast on the body which I later
discovered was for a mid-1950's Vanguard and again, the shaft was too
long. Took a week or so to verify this with the dimensions from an
original Fergie water pump but the belt alignment was about half an
inch out. As the tractor pump was still fully serviceable and it was
pointless to replace it, about 15 minutes with some careful grinding,
effectively reduced shaft length. It's still not absolutely 'spot on'
and might worry a pedantic concours judge but these are rare visitors
at ploughing matches! I now have a drive belt that doesn't have to
contort itself and this exercise has also bought the fan closer to the
radiator rear shroud, resulting in a veritable blast of air that
wasn't so evident before.

Jonmac
MG 4305 DLO 1970 Triumph 2.5PI
D 152318 1950 Ferguson TED20