Re: Intake manifold on an early TR-6.

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Intake manifold on an early TR-6.
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 14:49:07 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
--- Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net> wrote:
> >It has a passage on the underside of it that coolant passes through.
> >
> >I assumed this coolant was there to help cool the manifold.
> >Or at least to make it an even temperture and avoid hot spots.
> *************************************
> This pre heating passage on ANY manifold is there to heat the spot to help
> aid in fuel vaporization for more complete combustion (better emissions)

< snip >

> ANY street driven vehicle.  On a race car, driven rarely at idle or low to
> medium revs, this pre heating doesn't matter  and is unnecessary -

Man. . .that is one authorative answer Barry.
Thanks.

I was going to counter with the fact that my TR-4 that doesn't have a coolant
passage on the intake manifold and seems to run fine. . .but then Randall
points out that it is directly connected to the exhaust manifold.  (conducting
heat)

But then again, one of my 4's has headers. . .so there goes the direct path for
conduction.  I dunno . . . I still say that there is PLENTY o heat right there
above the exhast manifold.

I can see the coolant acting as a pre-heater. . . but it wouldn't take too long
before the intake manifold is going to get pretty hot anyway.

. . . .

Yeah the sink trap adaptor manifolds on webers look heinously inefficient.
I'm sure fuel can pool in the bottom of them.

Thus I didn't advocate removing the coolant hose entirely . . .but putting it
on the weber manifold only.

Scott Tilton
In Leesburg, VA
needing a fuel filter UPSTREAM of the electric fuel pump
http://personals.yahoo.com