Re: Leaking Stromberg, what to do?

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Leaking Stromberg, what to do?
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 00:19:15 +0100
Carb fuel overflow is a common problem with SU's and Strombergs and
nearly always (in my experience) the result of a float needle valve
sticking open or closed. If the car isn't used on a year round basis,
glues and varnish in residual fuel during the lay-up period can cause
the valve to stick and resist fuel pump pressure -  or resist float
pressure and cause float chamber overflow. As part of the preparation
for each season's use, I always removed the valves and spent a few
moments gently abrading the fins and seats on needles and in their
housings with a piece of paint flatting paper - 600 grit is ideal for
this. The problem is also prone on new or rebuilt carbs where minute
whiskers of plastic/nylon are present and act as similar
'obstructors.'

Jonmac
MG 4305 DLO 1970 Triumph 2.5PI
D 152318 1950 Ferguson TED20