4 cyl wet liner engine a fire hazard - (semi LBC)

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 4 cyl wet liner engine a fire hazard - (semi LBC)
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 00:40:41 +0100
'Daisy' the Ferguson has been a bit temperamental of late. I think
it's had something to do with running her (when hot) on central
heating oil mixed with a pint of regular unleaded in the quest for
cheaper kero. Cold starting of course uses petrol. Interesting route
to finding TDC is to locate a plug on the flywheel housing just above
the starter and poke a cross-head screwdriver through until it drops
into a pre-drilled hole on the flywheel. That's TDC. Surely a much
easier way (???????) than aligning things at the front end - but
there's a rather massive governor there, so this isn't an option.
Having had a number of abortive crankings on the starter to no
effect - even when the fuel tap was switched to petrol, a build-up of
unburnt fuel accumulated in the U bend off the exhaust manifold that
feeds straight into the vertical exhaust. Having done the screwdriver
in flywheel TDC exercise, everything was as it should be - and I hit
the starter again. Quite apart from running instantly on all four,
there was a catastrophic bang and an eight foot flame shot out of the
silencer and rapidly made its way towards an enviable collection of
this year's hay that was in the loft above. I've now devised a
practical flame trap in the form of an old soup can attached to the
exhaust stack with a piece of string which all lives in the toolbox
when not in use.
Does anyone have any experience of adjusting kidney brakes - my
profanities are beginning to upset old ladies who are near neighbours.

Jonmac
MG 4305 DLO 1970 Triumph 2.5PI
TED 152318 1950 Ferguson TED20