Re: TR3 scuttle vent drain and shag carpet

To: "Dave Brackin" <dbrackin@charter.net>, <Tr3bob@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 scuttle vent drain and shag carpet
From: "Edward Woods" <fogbro1@home.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 09:20:48 -0400
All,

Excuse me if I'm late on this and repeating something that's already been
said, but I believe the scuttle drain tube goes through a hole in the
firewall (?) above the passenger floor. The hole, for some reason probably
known only to Randall, has a lip on it. The hole in the transmission cover
is for the drain for the battery box. Back in the olden days, when batteries
almost always overflowed, especially when you were topping them up, this
location was a source of many ruined carpets. The leaky rubber drain tubes
were supplied to Triumph by the same company that supplied the carpet. I
learned on my '57 that sulphuric acid and wool do not mix, which, I suppose,
is why H2SO4 is not used to clean sheep. This phenomena is also responsible
for the appearance of shag carpet in Earth Tones in all unrestored TR3's

Ed Woods