Thoughts on Radiators (it's fixed now)

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thoughts on Radiators (it's fixed now)
From: "Eric Conrad" <conrade@qwest.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 14:24:35 -0600
Cc: "Dave" <KC3565L@sprintmail.com>, "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>, "Larry Morrison" <LaJoMor@aol.com>, "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>, "Michael Lunsford" <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>, "Jeff Johnson" <mondolux@speakeasy.net>
Listii,
Well, I want to thank all who offered their suggestions.  I took the
radiator down to a local radiator shop, and they pressure tested it.  I did
have a leak, but not in the core.  It was on the front of the radiator, in
the solder of the top tank.  As it leaked, the fan pulled the coolant
through the core, making it appear to be a problem in the core itself.
After $30, the radiator's top tank is re-soldered.  I reinstalled it right
after I got home from the shop.  Test drive, and it's holding pressure like
a champ.

After hearing most of the thoughts on the Chinese radiators, I've decided to
not choose this course in the future (if I ever do require a replacement).

Thanks again,
Eric

'76 TR6  (CF52678U +O)

Eric wrote:
I started up my TR6 this last weekend to find that the radiator has
sprung a
leak from the core.  Bummer.  I still have to remove the radiator
(probably
this weekend), and don't yet know whether the vertical tube could be
soldered or not.

I did look into the cost of replacing the core, and the estimates vary
between $180 and $250.  The cost of a new radiator from Moss is $249
retail.
A friend has said he has heard that the Moss radiator was a poor
"Taiwanese"
version of the radiator, and recommends re-coring the original.  I have
1976 TR6 with the later radiator (the one with the top tube bending
toward
the centerline of the car).

Does anyone have other thoughts, experience, and advice?  Perhaps Peter
Arakalian (sp?) might be able to shed some light on this.