TR6 Push Rod??

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Push Rod??
From: Harrymague@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 16:31:30 EDT
Hi everyone.  Thanks in advance for all help.
After a four year long rebuild on my 74 TR6 I finally had it on the road.  I
had a faint misfire at 55 to 60 MPH.  No big deal.  I thought the carbs were
still not just right.  Then all of a sudden, the engine starts missing big
time and back firing.  I limped home and pulled the valve cover and the last
most push rod, cylindar 6, is bent. The engine has maybe 50 miles on it since
a complete rebuild.  How can a push rod get bent???  Do I have to worry about
the tappet???  I am hoping that this was the casue of a lot of my suspect
carb problems.  The number 6 cylindar has good compression, 120 psi, just as
the other 5, = or - 2 psi.  It hope this means that the cylindar/piston is
harmed.  The books show this to a pretty replacement of a push rod.  Any
advice will be greatly appreciated.
Harry Mague
74TR6
Bevercreek, OH