RE: Tranny conversion

To: "'Chuck Arnold'" <chuck.arnold@oracle.com>, jtruttman@worldnet.att.net, tri <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tranny conversion
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:46:10 -0400
Chuck-
        I'd been considering a similar swap in my 3A,  and had saved the
post below in my 5 Speed file.... ( thanks to those listers who posted..
NFI, of course) Please keep us informed...
Regards,
Bob Westerdale
59 3A  TS36967

>From the files.....
snipped->

I have been considering this modification to my 71 TR6. I have not purchased
or installed one (yet) so I have no actual experience with it but I can
answer some of your questions.

1. Contact: http://www.conversioncomp.co.nz/

2. Looks like mostly a bolt in job however another lister named Chad Jester
said:
> I have one of the conversion components kits.  Really nice piece.  I began
> installation in my '72 TR6.  Pretty easy overall, but some minor mods
would
> be needed to one of the exhaust pipes.  '69 - '71 cars shouldn't need
this.
> All parts are supplied except the driveshaft.

and

>You just need to locate a prop shaft from an '83-85 Celica 5-spd.  For some
>reason, none of the yards in my area had one out.  They had some in cars,
>but wouldn't pull it unless I paid for it ahead.  I live about 60 miles
from
>these yards and can't get there before they close.  After you get the
shaft,
>just measure and have a driveshaft shop mate the Celica input portion to
the
>TR6 aft portion, then balance.   Its no big deal.

3. Good question. I don't know. See number ten.

4. When I was looking at it, the price was around $1300 to $1500. Depends on
the conversion rate and which tranny you buy.

5. It's been rumored that XKs Unlimited is the US distributer. Expect to pay
more there.

6. Don't know.

7. Literature I received from Conversion Components says "Supra Gearboxes
are ex-Japan, cleaned and checked over before leaving the factory."

8. Gearbox internals and clutch parts should be readily available in the US.
This is after all a Toyota transmission. The bell housing and possibly the
gear lever remote are made by Conversion Components.

9. Don't know. I would expect the Toyota gearbox to be quite reliable.

10. There are 4 gear ratios available. Here is how they compare to a
standard TR6 transmission (specs from Bentley):

                                1st        2nd        3rd        4th
5th
Stock TR6 non-OD  3.14      2.01       1.33       1            -
wide ratio (std)        3.56       2.05       1.38      1        0.85
close ratio                3.28       1.89       1.27      1        0.86
close ratio high 5th   3.27       1.96       1.31      1        0.775
extra wide (rare)      3.95       2.14        1.38     1        0.85

 My choice would be either of the close ratio gearboxes. I suspect first
gear in the wide ratio boxes would be to low to be very useful. The first
four gears in the close ratio, high 5th gearbox are very close to the stock
TR6 ratios.

11. $1650 sounds a little high. Back in June, Chad Jester said this:
> If you know of anyone looking for a kit, send them my way.  I won't have
> time to fool with it for a few years.....between work and kids.
I don't know if he still has it or not.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide to do. Especially if you
install one of these!

Mark Stahlke
71 TR6 (no commercial potential)