Re: TR4 rack boots

To: <CarlSereda@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 rack boots
From: "Kurtis" <kurtisj@cox-internet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 21:26:01 -0700
Carl,

The rack boots arrived today via UPS from Moss.  The first thing I noticed
about the kit was that one of the boots had a larger opening at one end (for
the driver's side where it must fit over the rack and pinion body.  This was
the side I was concerned about, because it looked like the old boot that I
took off had the same size opening as the one on the passenger's side.

Well, I greased everything up, and had the boot in place within 5 minutes.
It was actually the passenger's side boot that gave me fits.  The inside
opening on it was smaller, and a real bear to get over the ball joint on the
rack.  I could stretch it out pretty good, but before I got it to the joint,
I ran out of hand room.  It finally dawned on me to turn the steering wheel
and move the rack all the way to that side, thus getting the ball joint out
further into the wheel well.  It was still a bit of a struggle, but I
finally got it over the hump.

Anyway, thanks for all your (everyone else's) help.  My new tie-rod end
pieces should arrive tomorrow, then I'll be back on the road!

Kurtis J.
Russellville, Arkansas
1963 TR4
http://www.geocities.com/tr4_1963/