Re: TR Hunting

To: "LeRoy Price" <lep@epix.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR Hunting
From: "Kurtis" <kurtisj@cox-internet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 21:05:46 -0700
LeRoy,

You should be able to get a decent TR4 in that price range...  That's about
what I paid for mine.  The problem is finding one near you in that price
range.  There just aren't a whole heck of a lot of these cars around (in my
area anyway).

There are a lot of checklists and so forth on the internet that go in detail
about what to look for; however (and I speak from experience when I say
this) it is difficult to look at a car objectively once you've fallen for
it.  The big thing to look for is rust.  In that price range, expect to find
a little (regardless of what the owner of the car tells you about the car's
condition).  Lift up the carpets and the spare tire.  Look up under the dash
(a flashlight is needed), and under the battery.  Look the frame over best
you  can (with a flashlight), and of course the rocker panels.

If at all possible, try to find someone who has actually owned a TR4 to go
look at the car with you.  There's probably a British Car Club in your area
with members willing to help out.

And one final piece of advice... Don't get discouraged when after you have
found your dream car and purchased it that you discover hidden problems with
it that you missed on your initial pre-purchase inspection.  I know I found
(am finding) several signs that the previous owner of my car was not the
kind, Triumph loving sole he made himself out to be.  My feeling is that
I've rescued the car from someone that didn't really care for the car as
much as I do, and that does make me feel pretty good about the whole
situation. <grin>

Anyway... good luck!

Kurtis J.
Russellville, Arkansas