Re: strange vibrations - resolution - Water pump - CRACKED HEAD!

To: "Carter Shore" <clshore@yahoo.com>, <triumphs-owner@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <The_GT6_Drivers_Group@yahoogroups.com>, "CARS Spitfires@Autox. Team. Net \(E-mail\)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com>, <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: strange vibrations - resolution - Water pump - CRACKED HEAD!
From: Paul Tegler <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 19:01:56 -0400
Well.... it was none of the above.
At least I believe that to be true now.

I replaced the water pump as it was
a bit loose....couldn't hurt right.

But alas... I'm pretty sure I've found my
problem... one I created myself...couldn't
leave well enough alone.  :-(

I recently went through my dual press/temp
gauge (Whitey's three gauge center dash)
and was recalibrating the temp side.

...warmed up to what I thought was the right temp...
went to reinstall the needle.  Then a quick
flick of my finger on the needle just to make sure
it moved freely.  What the..???
It wouldn't move up scale at all from center.
OH NO!!!
The crappy thermometer I was using was WAY
off.

Looks like I over heated the engine big time!
A week or two ago I had just done a compression test
and other such stuff during a tune up. At that time...
comp  148  150   145     148
today's test showed  148 150  70  145
re-torqued the head...no change.

Looks like the head is done. probably cracked
between the valve from over heating during the
meter work.

Oh well...that'll teach me.
So.... any body got a good 1500 head they care to part with!

tia

Paul Tegler      ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com

After opening up the tranny today (tunnel out
tranny in place)   now weird bits in the oil
gears look fine....  went for another test ride
as I described earlier today.
...changed the water pump... still strange at 2500 rpm.