Re: strange vibrations - resolution - Water pump - CRACKED HEAD!

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: strange vibrations - resolution - Water pump - CRACKED HEAD!
From: HAMILTON DOUG <douglasehamilton@home.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 18:58:02 -0600
Paul,
Hope your luck is better than mine I had a similar situation with a
similar noise on my 63 Fiat 1200 Cabriolet and after doing a compression
and leak down test I was convinced I had a burnt valve, or cracked head,
what I found when I took the head off was one of the wrist pins came
lose and gouged the cylinder, which broke the rings, and pounded the
hell out of the rod journal on the crank. The block now has a new sleeve
pressed in, the crank is turned 0.020 under, and I'm waiting for new
pistons to arrive from Italy so my machinist can finish the job, so I
can have a least one toy on the road.

Doug Hamilton
1960 TR3A (body off in progress)
1963 Fiat 1200 Cabriolet