More info on TR7 wheel hop

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: More info on TR7 wheel hop
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 17:56:10 EDT
Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions about the wheel hop on my TR7's
right front wheel.

After cross-examination, I have admitted that maybe it isn't wheel hop, since
the steering shakes left to right when the vibration starts.  So a possible
culprit is the inner ball joint on that side.  I replaced both inner ball
joints last spring, but I've now noticed that there is play when I move the
right front wheel back and forth when grabbing it at the 3 and 9 position.
Trying to spot where the looseness is, it looks like it might be coming from
the ball and cup of the inner ball joint.

this is all very interesting, because the inner ball joint on the right side
being loose is why I replaced both inner ball joints the first time.  And
that is also the side that had my one wheel that is slightly bent, so that it
slightly wobbles.  That wheel is on the rear axel now, but it was on the
right front for quite a while after I replaced the inner ball joints.

So, possible connection?  Slight at highway speeds might have started
premature wear on the inner ball joint?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Thanks in advance for any additional comments/suggestions!

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC