Re: BMW residual British names

To: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: BMW residual British names
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 22:37:42 -0500
>I read recently that it was alleged
>to have bought Austin Healey which seems a bit of a mind-stretcher
>because the AH name was abandoned in the early 70's

Late 1967, I think.  Died at the same time the Big Healey was discontinued.

and absent from
>Sprites. They became Austin Sprites.

In the UK, I suppose.  There were no Sprites in the USA after that.  All the
cars were MG Midgets.

>Also seems the Healey family are
>more than casually interested that BMW claim they own the family name
>because that's alleged to be news to them.

So I would expect.  They had an arrangement with Jensen after the BMC
association ended.  Lotus used it to beta-test their new engine before
putting it into the Elite and the Esprit.