What's the deal with tapered shafts? teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f9PMVCP294

Subject: What's the deal with tapered shafts? teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f9PMVCP29481
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:31:02 -0700
Obviously, I'm not an engineer
 otherwise I suspect I wouldn't need
to ask this question:

Why is it, exactly, that tapered shafts which fit into tapered bores
are such a royal pain the a** to disassemble?  Cases in point: TR6
rear inner axle shafts/drive flanges, TR6 outer stub axle/hub, TR6
front stub axle/vertical link, upper ball joints, tie rod ends and
the list goes on.

Why on Earth are these things so stubborn when there's not even a NUT
holding them together anymore?!  Seems like they oughtta just come
right apart once the nut is loosened and removed.

I'm installing new front stub axles, and while the driver's side stub
axle came out with just a few good whacks with a ball peen hammer,
the passenger side does not want to come apart at all, even when
pounded on mercilessly with a 5 pound sledge.  All this struggling
motivates me to finally seek an understanding of what's behind this,
because it has always puzzled me.

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6