Bad Trunnions? teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f9QFZYP21777

Subject: Bad Trunnions? teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f9QFZYP21777
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 08:35:27 -0700
Folks:

My TR6's downtime (which began in July) is nearly over with.  The
gearbox is done, installed.  The new Falcon exhaust system has been
hung, carburettors rebuilt.  The front suspension may go back
together this afternoon, if I can get the welder over here to install
my reinforcement plates.

I had to disassemble the front suspension (both sides) just to give
the welder some room to maneuver.  That's when I discovered the
spindles were worn fairly badly.  So, I've installed new spindles and
will be installing new wheel bearings. Although I'd LIKE to take more
time to replace bushings, etc. I've got to draw the line right here
and put off any further work until next spring if at all possible,
even if it means disassembling it all again.

In anticipation of that, I'm wondering about the condition of my
trunnions.  How do you tell when they need replacing?  Mine feel
solid and smooth as they rotate around the vertical link
 they feel
pretty good.  Is there some other way to determine what kind of shape
they're in?  I think I will remove the trunnions from the vertical
link, clean them, fill with oil and then reinstall them today, but I
they seem to be in pretty good shape.

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6