Another Thing About Trunnions teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f9QFr5P22355

Subject: Another Thing About Trunnions teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f9QFr5P22355
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 08:52:57 -0700
As I understand the Bentley manual, the trunnion itself should simply
unscrew from the vertical link.  The manual also points out that one
side is left hand threads and the other is right hand threads.
Certainly, that's useful information!  But it leaves out one
important thing
 you have to unscrew and remove the steering stop
before you can unscrew the trunnion.

My question is, are the threads for the bolt which secures the
steering stop different from one side to the other also?  I was just
working on the right side vertical link, and I can't get the bolt to
loosen.  I can rotate the bolt for just about 1/4 turn but then it
tightens up again.  At that point I stopped trying, 'cuz I don't want
to strip the threads!  I reversed the ratchet and very carefully
rotated the bolt in the other direction to see if it would loosen up
(thinking that the threads might be reversed) but again, I can only
turn it 1/4 turn and then it stops.

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6