Re: fuel line conector

Subject: Re: fuel line conector
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 08:51:23 -0800
Scott :

If there's enough left to still grab with the vise grips, I'd first try
flushing the tank thoroughly with water (fill to overflowing and drain
several times, until there is no smell of gasoline), then heating the
fitting with a propane torch fairly hot (not red, or hot enough to melt
the brazing), grabbing the nut with the vise grips and turning it.  Most
vice grip pliers have big teeth and little teeth, be sure you're using
the big teeth.

If that doesn't work, it's time to start drilling.  You've already got a
pretty good center hole, so cut the fuel line off flush with what's left
of the fitting, and start with a drill bit that will just take out the
tubing.  Try the vise grips again, the drilling may have loosened the
nut.  If not, drill again, trying to find a drill size that will just
pass inside the outer threads, leaving a thin shell of the nut that you
can chip away with a dental pick or something.

Worst case is a trip to the local radiator repair shop, to have a new
fitting brazed on ...

Randall